Spay / Neuter Information
Why is Spay and Neuter so strongly recommended?
- A pregnancy may endanger your pet and bring major vet bills. Also, in the long run, indiscriminate breeding of pets may cause increased feral populations and euthanasias. Remember even kittens can start mating as early as six months.
- Unaltered cats and dogs have urges that can make them irritable and anxious. They may yowl or whine, fight with other cats, and/or destroy objects in the house.
- Whole male cats and dogs are more likely to roam, fight and spray indiscriminately. Research indicates that 80% of dogs that are hit by cars and impounded at shelters are unaltered males.
- Spaying a female before her first heat protects her from risks inherent in any pregnancy and the risk of uterine, ovarian, and mammary cancers. Spaying also protects her from the stresses of pregnancy.
- A whole female pet may mark your home with urine when in heat.
- Even indoor-only house cats often find ways to get outdoors when sexual urges peak. Whether they disappear for good (due to panic, accidents, or predators) or they return home, kittens may result from the foray.
- Whole male cats have very potently odorous urine, which, even if they don't mark their territory, markedly increases litterbox chores.
- Alters tend to be less subject to "moods" due to hormone changes than whole animals.
- Cats who soil outside their litterbox may stop soiling if spayed or neutered. However, it may take up to two months after the operation to achieve this effect, so it's best to alter early, before such behavior can start.
- Impound fees for reclaiming your pet at local shelters may be lower if your dog or cat is spayed or neutered prior to being impounded.
Low Cost Spay or Neuter Programs
Project XMonte Vista Small Hospital 634-0023 or Community Vet 634-5851. Call for appointment and cost information.
Modesto Spay/Neuter575-0100 call for prices
HOPE Fundation in Fresno:(559) 271-0209 call for prices
Stanislaus County SCATE voucher program:605-7766 call for dates of clinic
ACT Spay/Neuter Clinic327 East Alpine Avenue (next to Oak Park), Stockton, CA 95204
Low Cost, High Quality, Non Profit
Turlock Spay & Neuter Clinic(209) 216-0322
351 N Walnut#15
SAVED (Stanislaus Area Veterinarians for the Economically Disadvantaged) Spay & Neuter Clinic(209) 525-4760
3643 Cornucopia Way
Modesto, CA 95358